7 February 2012

Tutorial Tuesday- Knitted patchwork quilt

Hi


So week two of tutorial tuesday. This tutorial is a bit of a mix because it is something I am working on at the moment. The first place I found it was, you guessed it, on pinterest...

The colours are beautiful yes!
But, the pin didn't come with a tutorial.


At the same time I saw that Elise on her blog was making a very similar quilt in a lovely checkerboard design.



I put two and two together and decided that it couldn't be too hard. I picked five lovely colours and am knitting away as we speak-well not literally!

Rather than cleverly knit the squares together (a feat that I feel is beyond me) I am simply going to sew them together much as I'd make a fabric quilt.


I wanted my knitted squares to lie flat therefore I made up this pattern to achieve that. For those knitters out there it is basically 1 by 1 rib.

To make your knitted square: 4mm needles
                                                DK wool

cast on: 36 stitches.
Row 1: K2*K1 P1* repeat from the star until you reach the end of the row.
Row 2: Slip first stitch over *K1 P1* repeat from star

Repeat the pattern in row 2 until the square measures the same on each side. Cast off and start the next one!

This quilt can be large or small as can the individual squares. So simple but so many variations and I promise my finished article will be posted, hopefully soon!

Thanks for stopping by

5 comments:

alexa said...

These are lovely - and I can see why that top one inspired you to knit! At first I thought it was garter stitch but thank-you for the instructions. I'd also need to stitch them together, not knowing how to do otherwise!

JO SOWERBY said...

cute abi. loving the tuesday tutorials so far,
jo xxx

scrappyjacky said...

I love the top one as well.....and after I've finished knitting my bunting....I may have a go at it.

Beverly said...

Not even a hint to what colors you are using?! ahhh the suspense, Abi!! Since it's Pinterest inspired link up over on my Pinspiration post if you want :)

Unkown said...

I’m just gonna do plain knit, 26 h x 26 w, stitches and sew together. I may add a few ribbed knitting patches to the blanket. Haven’t decided yet