4 March 2012

Storytelling Sunday- The bears who came to stay

Hello

Today is Sunday. It is also the first Sunday of the month, which means it is the lovely Sian's storytelling Sunday again! I do love this chance to share a story and love connecting with so many of you through it.

My family has a thing about bears. Not, I hasten to add, the growling, snarling sort. No, the soft filled with stuffing cuddly sort.

When I was very little we had lots of bears but one was very special. He arrived in our house before I was born. He was called Barty.

Yep, he was pretty big and yep, he was very loved. Right till the day that his stuffing fell out.


Our next acquisition was Horace. When we went to Bath we used to walk past a shop that sold large bears and there Horace would stand, in the window, paws up.
One day a strange shaped package was in the back of the car.. We had a new addition to the family.

Horace stands halfway up the stairs, occassionaly dressed up (depending on the season!) and often giving people a fright. I mean a 4ft bear isn't what you normally see in a happy family home!
It is normal for our family when walking past him, to give him a pat or a cuddle, because despite first impressions, he really is very friendly.

He is a very loved 6th member of the Beach household.


With such a love of bears it was only natural that when world book day came around and the task of dressing up for school came up, my mother ordered....



A Bear costume.
That's right.
A Bear costume.

But oh my, have we had fun!






This is the story of the bears who came to stay.
Thanks for stopping by

Loves xx

19 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm still laughing at the dressing up a a bear. Wow Horace seems big and a little on the realistic side. Has he ever given anyone a fright when they have encountered him on the stairs :)

JO SOWERBY said...

i was given winnie the pooh by my cousin deb when i was little. he has been well loved and is now well over 50 years old,
jo xxx

Alison said...

Horace is incredible!..and love the bear costume!
Alison xx

Lizzie said...

What fabulous bears, Abi! Horace is something special, for sure! I love how you all dress him up in seasonal costume and give him a hug when you go past. Lovely!
I don't think I ever saw a bear making a cup of tea before... did the bear go into school with you?

Anonymous said...

Loved these stories! Would love to have a bear that big in our house and I loved seeing the bear cooking! Great stuff.

scrappyjacky said...

Sounds like bears are an essential ingredient of your home!!!

Lou said...

great bear outfit lol! Loved your story Abi.

Sian said...

Brilliant! I love that you had a bear story for today too, and such a funny one at that. Just perfect. Thanks Abi :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

That last picture is hilarious!!! Thanks for the laugh. We tend to bears of the smaller variety here. I still have the teddy bear which my husband gave me over 25 years ago for our first married Christmas together. He was sitting in front of the our little tree on Christmas morning.
Rinda

Clare said...

Every home should have some bears. That bear costume looks like good fun!

Missus Wookie said...

Love the costume and the idea of the bear enjoying the holidays with costumes.

furrypig said...

Horace is amazing I would love to have such a magnificent bear in my household!

Sabrina DS said...

This is so beary sweet. Thanks this story.
Cheers from France

Miss Smith said...

I love Horace's outfits! Bears do make excellent friends. They are never judgemental.

Irene said...

Fabulous story and photographs. I imagine there are lots of laughs to be had at your house. I can see that 'human' bear popping up all over the place!

Ruth said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

Does the bear change with the seasons?? Great! Like those little build a bears!

Jo said...

I love this story and I think Horace is gorgeous

Amy said...

I have to admit Horace is a bit scary! I did however enjoy the photos of you frolicking around the house in your new costume :p Thanks for sharing!