5 August 2012

Storytelling Sunday- The bleachers

Hi

Today I am joining in with the lovely Sian for her storytelling Sunday. This month Sian posted a suggested theme of "summer lovin". Well that couldn't be more apt for what I wanted to write about and surprise.. it has nothing to do with the boy! (although that is always a tempting topic to write about)

When in America last week we visited a baseball game. This man is passionate about sport. Cricket is his favourite, but anything with a ball will tend to win him over.


As soon as we got to America he found the sport channel and sat avidly watching the baseball league.

Because we were in the country and because we knew both my brothers would enjoy it, we travelled to Pertersburg to watch a game. In previous years we had been to big games in DC and in NYC but I was told by my parents that this would be different...


We would be sitting on the bleachers.

So we got to the ground and like they said it was a small club ground, close to the action, not many spectators. And there to our left were the white, tall, metal bleachers.

Well, I had to fight an urge to either sing Taylor Swift ( Points to you if you know the reference) or run to the top and sing "those su-u-umer niiii-hiiights" ala Danny from Grease.


I am an English girl. I have watched countless school matches in my wellies, by the pavilion or in the seats at the grounds. Never have I sat on the bleachers. The temptation to sing summer lovin was therefore quite high!


Naturally we sat at the top and watched the game as the sun sank below the clouds. It was such a glorious evening and we looked brilliantly out of place, particularly when my dad started clapping the opposing team. It was definitely a home crowd I can tell you! There was something magical about sitting on the seats that are referenced in so many movies and songs. I felt like a high school student I can tell you! Bring on glee!


You know what they don't tell you about those bleachers though? They are so uncomfortable!

Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

boysmum2 said...

I love that taylor song, but I also love the Grease song too. Awesome pics, thanks for sharing

furrypig said...

fantastic photo and story and I mention that Grease song in my post today too but sadly no cool bleachers photos from me!

Amy said...

I love that song from Grease!

Irene said...

Great photographs and what wonderful memories for you of your trip. I love the way you have woven your story around them.

Sian said...

Perfect! Just perfect! you have reminded me about Heath Ledger in 10 Things I hate about you.. I think that might be another favourite Bleachers moment of mine.

The light in your photos is really special. You were asking about my pictures yesterday. I ran a "soft urban" action on them from a collection by Florabella.

Thanks for adding your Summer Lovin story to the collection today Abi

scrappyjacky said...

One of my favourite songs as well.

Lou said...

oh wow Abi.....just Brilliant and perfect for STS. A huge fan of grease and now i'll have summer lovin singing in my head for the rest of the day x

Mel said...

I'm with Sian I love Heath singing along to the brass band. What an authentic American high school experience!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I don't know the Taylor Swift song, but love the one from Grease. I was 11 when that film was in the cinema so that could explain my ignorance of the other! The bleachers and High School go hand in hand. A nice experience to have :o)

Beverly said...

lol I cannot imagine making it to your age and not having sat "in the bleachers", I seem to recall a bit of kissing under the bleachers but ummm that's not for storytelling Sunday ;) They are most definitely uncomfortable whether it is during a hot spring soccer game, hot summer baseball or freezing November football (US) game @@

Megan said...

Sian got there before me but this totally reminded me of '10 things I hate about you!' :) I'm glad you had a good time in America- looks amazing!! xx

Ginger said...

I really enjoyed your story today Abi! Growing up, we sat on wooden bleachers to watch ball games, you have provoked many memories :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

It never occurred to me that bleachers were not common everywhere! I have a nice little chair which unfolds to sit on top of the bleachers to make them much more comfortable!
Rinda
p.s. great photo of the pitcher and you on the bleachers looking at the field!

Emily D. said...

Great story... one of my favorite places to sit at games is in the bleachers!! LOL, I know they are not that comfortable, but it really is a tradition for us!

Unknown said...

Yes, they are definitely uncomfortable! I would have gone with "Summer Lovin'" as I am just a teeny bit of a sucker for Grease :-)