27 November 2013

Let's sit and have a cup of tea

Hello, come on in, out of the cold, let me take your coat and scarf.
Yes, the wind is picking up and there is definitely a real chill in the air.


If you were meeting me now, I would usher you into the lounge, asking you to excuse the laptop cables and discarded text books. As you can see the work is increasing as we hit the home straight of term.

I promised you cake and there is some waiting in the tin as well as a few sneaky mince pies. I had my first one of the year last week and had forgotten how much I enjoy them. Would you like a cup of tea? Coffee? Hot chocolate?

If you were with me now I would curl up next to you on the sofa, my knees up to my chest, holding my mug close to me to keep warm. (We are a student house you know!) I would lean forward and ask you, my eyes bright, what your christmas plans were? I would tell you that I can't wait to get home, there is something about the evenings drawing in that makes me want to be at home in front of a roaring fire. I would ask you if you are having family over or are you travelling? I would tell you that we are all at home for Christmas. Now that both me and my brother are at university and the littlest is at school just being together in one place is a treat. I would ask you if you have any christmas wishes. I would laughingly tell you that I have asked for one very unusual crafty christmas gift. I wonder if you can guess?

Have another mince pie? I personally like mine warmed, would you too? The conversation would move around to crafts. I would go and show you the beautiful tag that I was sent in the Christmas decoration swap from Jill. I would ask you if you participated. I can't wait to show you what I sent to Deb but need to wait till she receives it first! I am also trying to come up with plans for table decorations on Christmas day. Do you do christmas crafts? Ooh, now I am on the subject of crafts, come and see the lovely box full of beautiful quilt pieces. I am itching to get these stitched up in the holiday! I have also treated myself to a new quilting magazine and some of the projects in there are mouth watering. I would pull it out and together we would stroke the pages, gazing at the patterns and colours. Do you subscribe to a magazine?


Time would pass happily and we before we knew it the plates would be covered in crumbs and the the pot would be empty. I would thank you for reading my post a few days ago about blogging. I loved hearing so many wise words and kind comments. I would tell you that I am excited for what the new year holds, both with project life and with this little space. I would tell you that it was really cathartic for me to talk through blogging with you.

The darkness is closing in and I would get up to close the curtains. You would tell me that you had to be off. I would lead you to the door and it would take us a while to get there because we would keep stopping and carrying on our conversation. I would thank you so much for coming around again, thank you that this has become a regular thing and marvel with you that we have been doing this for a whole year now. It is good to share life with you.

As you walked down the road, you would turn, your hand raised in greeting and I would wave you from my doorway, light spilling onto the road.

If you were meeting with me now, what would you tell me? 

If you would like to write a "tea" post please add it to the linky at the bottom so we can all sit and share with you! The linky will be open for a week so you have plenty of time! 


12 comments:

Prairie Jill said...

Thank you for tea and cake and mince pies! And mostly, of course, for the company. It's so nice to hear what you're up to, browse through your magazines. I look forward to seeing you again next month!

(PS Glad to hear that the tag I sent you arrived!)

Ruth said...

Thanks for the cuppa; I always feel I'd like to move in!

Sian said...

I hope you haven't quite got to the point of being so cold you wore a hat in bed! I can remember doing that..and the days when it was my turn to light the fire..

Yes please to the warmed mince pies. That's the way I like them too. And I really am about to have one for my afternoonses here, so I shall raise it in salute to you as soon as it comes out of the microwave!

Miriam said...

I love warm mince pies too and hot chocolate at the moment. I enjoyed talking about blogging with you and sharing your end of term and going home excitement. It's so lovely to visit you Abi.

Anonymous said...

Mince pie is my very favorite! Even more than cherry. If I were at your house today, I'd tell you how much I LOVE the photograph at the bottom of your post, and how lucky you are if you live near there.

Sinead said...

Thank you so much for the tea and mince pies Abi...YUM! I am so looking forward to Christmas, and am enjoying the run-up to the festivities at school where the kids are already beyond excited (and the nativity preparations are in full swing!). Your quilting magazine sounds beautiful, I'm making it my project for 2014 to learn to quilt - mainly inspired by your beautiful creations, I've got to admit! We must Skype again before Christmas, it was so lovely to chat the last time xxx

Jane said...

thank you for the mince pie and tea always welcome at this time of year xx

alexa said...

Now I have not had a mince pie yet, so this would be lovely! And I smiled at Sian's comment about sleeping in a hat (happy days!) and hope it is not quite that cold in your little home - though I would come and see you anyway :). I have some back copies of Quilting Arts and quite a few books languishing on the shelves if you would like to borrow them, though they tend to be a bit arty and contemporary.

Beverly said...

Finally, I get to taste the much talked about mince pie! I would share with you that I really do not care for the cold or for winter for that matter. I am a warm weather Southern (US) girl. I hope you get your crafty gift for Christmas. I am starting a new project this week :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the cuppa

Susanne said...

Lovely catching up today. I'm not a fan of mince but I do like warm pecan pie, we just had some at Thanksgiving. Hope you stay warm and cozy this month. Thanks for hosting.

Theresa said...

thanks for your hospitality once again. Ah, magazines - I am addicted. I came back from England with rather too many I think, but they should last me a while. I bought a new one called Daphne's Diary, which I also bought a few weeks ago here in Germany - I'm going to see how well I understood it in German!
Have a lovely December.