14 December 2014

The Christmas Club- Choosing a tree

It's the same every year.
We get in the car, just me and him, making sure the back seats are down and there is room for the tree.


We talk about the trees we have bought in previous years.  The year we lived pretty close to London and the tree prices reflected it. The only way to get a slightly cheaper tree was for Dad to join the Gardeners Club. He was plagued with promotional letters for the rest of the year!

We arrive and jump out of the car, making our way to the Norwegian Spruces.


I'm the fussy one when it comes to trees. It has to be bushy enough, has to be around about the right height and fairly even all over.

We have a system Dad and me. I point at a tree, he lifts it out and we both admire it, chatting over the pros and cons.


This year we had gone through a few trees before the man who owned the place, pointed us towards a lovely specimen we had missed.
It was just the right shape to suit both of us and, I know this sounds silly but it looked Christmassy tree ish.

We hand it over to be wrapped it in that stringy stuff and we bundle it into the car with me trying to avoid the branches on the ride home.


Dad carries it into the house where the base is waiting and we umm and ahh as he screws it in and I try and work out if its straight or not.

For now our tree is waiting. Waiting till the middle brother gets home to help decorate with us.

It's a tradition choosing the tree. Just me and my Daddy.


Do you buy a tree each year?

I am joining in the lovely 'Christmas Club' meme with Sian. Do pop on over to read some other christmassy tales. 

17 comments:

ally said...

Yes it used to be just me, struggling to man handle the tree into the car. But this was the 2nd christmas with hubby and we go and chose it together.

Sian said...

I like this so much - we got our tree yesterday and we all go, we laugh about it being a family outing, we take our time to choose, we feed it into the back of the car. We were missing one this year, though as he won't be home til next week. It's lovely to have a special thing to do with your Dad!

Maggie said...

I can see that you would have been one of those customers that I would have smiled sweetly at when we used to sell trees! (See my blog for yesterday. ) it is a special family thing.

Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizzy Hill said...

What a wonderful tradition😊 love the photos you've added to tell the story!!!

Karen said...

This is the very best kind of tradition!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

And what a lovely tradition it is.

Sandra said...

What a happy tradition

Rachel Brett said...

That's a lovely tradition and what a stunner you chose! ;)

Mel said...

A lovely tradition and so nice that its just the two of you. I have similar happy memories of my dad always picking me up at uni and us getting fish and chips and chatting all the way home. We always get a real tree - its just not the same getting a fake!

Anonymous said...

Lovely tradition! So well told! [A fellow Christmas Club-er]

Miriam said...

Choosing the tree is my favourite Christmas tradition. We all go, we look at them all, spin them all around, go back to the first, more spinning, height checking, has it got a back 'that you won't notice when it's against the door' and so it goes on until the most perfect tree is loaded into the car...

Missus Wookie said...

Oh what a fun tradition - glad that it is waiting for your brother too.

Barbara Eads said...

I think it's great that you have this daddy/daughter tradition! I hope it continues even after you have a home of your own!

JO SOWERBY said...

I love this story, such a special thing to do together
Jo xx

alexa said...

Ahhh! a heart-warmer of a story, Abi... DH and I choose the tree every year, going to a local forest for it.

Kirsty.A said...

Thank you. This reminds of exactly how my dad and I used to go and get the tree